Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Irish Nachos

Once, at an Irish pub, some friends and I saw Irish Nachos on the menu, basically potato skins in lieu of tortilla chips smothered in nacho glory.  As you might assume, they were delicious.  So in honor of the Giants game on Saturday, I decided to make my own version.

Ironically, my least favorite part of potato skins, is the actual skin.  So i decided to just peel my potatoes and slice them.  I lined them in a butter-coated pan, drizzled a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and put them in a 350 degree oven while I prepped the rest of the ingredients.
potatoes after about 20 min in the oven
Next I chopped a tomato (organic, courtesy of the roommate's CSA), and a little bit of onion.  I sprinkled the onion on the potatoes and put them back in the oven to cook together longer.  Meanwhile I defrosted and chopped some chicken.  I threw it in a skillet w/ a little oil and spices (paprika, chili powder, oregano) and cooked it through.  Out of the oven again I now sprinkled the tomatoes, chicken, and a can of black beans atop the potatoes and onions and baked for about another 10 minutes.
potatoes, onions, tomatoes, chicken
Finally I took the nachos out one last time, grated some white cheddar and snipped some chives for the top (I was out of scallions).  Back in the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese and it was Irish Nacho game time.  I served them with a hefty dollop of sour cream (sadly i had no avocados or guac in the fridge).  Even the vegetarian roommate pushed aside the chicken and found this dish delicious.  Let's hear it for a little south of the border and overseas fusion.

No comments: