Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ground Beef Nachos

Dear blogosphere,

I apologize for my lack of dining/cooking at home.  This past week has been full of restaurants and microwave dinners.  I will make it up to you with fabulous home-cooked amazingness.  But that won't be tonight.

Sincerely,
LND Rookie Week

I was tired, but I told myself I had to make something that utilized the stove and at least one vegetable.  So I went for Mexican.  Nachos.  Simple.  You probably don't even need me to tell you how to make these.  Well, I will anyway, because then I can tell you all about the key ingredient: taco seasoning.  Browning ground beef is half the battle, but the taco seasoning takes it across the finish line (yes, I am mixing my metaphors).

Taco seasoning comes in packets near the rice/pasta/soup section.  The package says to brown the beef, drain the fat, add the package, then add a cup of water.  I leave a little fat and add about 1/2 cup of water.  Then I'll add more water if it's too dry.  Last night's taco beef then saw the addition of corn, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro (the first pruning of my new herb garden!).  Spoon the beef mixture over chips, add some shredded cheese, and a dollop of guacamole (sour cream if you're so inclined).  Straight from the cafeteria to your kitchen! (It's not one of my prouder home-cooking moments.)

No comments: