Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Potato Leek Soup with Corn

Who doesn't love warm homemade soup on a cold winter's night?  So when I noticed my roommate's CSA leeks in the fridge the other night, I was immediately inspired.  I adore potato soups, cream soups, and thick blended soups, so potato leek was the perfect winter pick me up, and I threw in a splash of corn at the end for an added texture and flavor.

Ingredients: 3 large russet potatoes, 2 large leeks, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp butter, 2 cans chicken broth, water, 1/4 cup fresh taragon, 1/4 cup fresh thyme, 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp dried saffron powder, 1/2 cup corn, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, dollop of pesto sauce as garnish

Start by peeling the potatoes and chopping everything.  Add butter, garlic, and leeks to a large soup pot over medium heat.  Saute and stir for about 10 minutes until nicely softened.
Add the potatoes and chicken broth.  Add water until potatoes are just covered.  
Throw in your fresh herbs and let simmer for about 20 minutes or so, until potatoes are nice and tender. 
When flavors have melded, veggies softened, and you're so hungry you can't wait anymore, go ahead and blend the soup.  I'm a big fan of immersion blenders, but if you don't have one, puree in batches in a regular blender.  I blend on the lowest level so that most everything is blended, but there's the occasional piece of leek or potato.  Next I added the cream, saffron, and salt and pepper.  I threw in the corn, straight from the freezer bag, and let it heat through.

To serve I sprinkled in some cheese and spooned a little pesto sauce over the top.  Delish.

No comments: