Monday, August 30, 2010

LND: Restaurant Roundup

The weekend has come and gone, and this one was filled with many a restaurant fare.  Here I shall recap some of the dishes tasted, and some of the inspirations I've drawn from them.

We begin with Friday's dinner at Lalola, a tapas bar.  Tip: At any restaurant that offers a happy hour, eat dinner during then to take advantage of happy hour pricing not only on drinks, but on food.  Eating at 9pm is so 2009.  My inspiration from Lalola: patatas bravas. 
photo courtesy of Yelp
Typically cut in 2 inch cubes, boiled in brine, then fried, these potatoes are served with a tomato-based sauce and an alioli.  Wanting to repeat a similar tasting potato at home, I opt for peeling, then baking (either in the oven, or on the microwave's potato setting), then chopping and frying in oil for about 30 sec- 1 min.  Deliciously cooked potatoes on the inside with a fried crisp outside.  Trust me, it's delicious.

Next we discuss Saturday brunch at Tikka Benedict, a new pop-up brunch place in SOMA.  Still working out the kinks here, my inspiration comes from the namesake brunch item.  The tikka benedict originated when the restaurant's owner wanted to make eggs benedict but realized she was lacking hollandaise sauce and instead put leftover chicken tikka masala over her egg and english muffin.
photo courtesy of Yelp (definitely not how it looked on my plate)
While for now I would suggest skipping brunch here until they become more comfortable with poaching eggs in a timely manner, I would highly recommend making this at home.  Why did I never think of combining two of my favorite things (indian food and eggs benedict)?  Good for any meal of the day.

Recreating restaurant fare at home = delicious, budget conscious, and impressive at dinner parties.

No comments: