Thursday, March 31, 2011

Enchiladas

This was my first foray into enchilada making, and I wanted to make everything from scratch, including the enchilada sauce. I never really knew what went into the sauce, but now I'm pretty much an expert.  And yes, they were delicious so I will make these many more times in the future.

The roommate and I made these the other night at midnight.  Perhaps we are insane, but midnight enchiladas are something everyone should try at least once.  And they reheat well too, making for good lunch the next day. 

For the sauce, I basically followed this recipe.  I heated oil in a saucepan, added the flour, then added the chili powder.  I didn't have any chicken stock or broth, so I ended up just using water.  And instead of having ten ounces of tomato paste, I only had six.  But I did have oregano and cumin!  So this is what it looked like:
While the sauce simmered and thickened, it was time to prep the filling.  First we sauteed 1 tbsp garlic with 1 chopped shallot in a little olive oil.  Once nicely softened and lightly browned I added the corn.  
After about a minute to heat through I added a can of diced tomatoes.  I then washed, peeled, and sliced the raw shrimp into halves and added the raw shrimp to the skillet.  After about five minutes the shrimp were pink and the filling was ready.


Now I apologize for the lack of pictures at this point.  It was midnight. I forgot about my camera while my hands were coated in enchilada sauce, but just pretend you can see what I did next.  First coat the bottom of your baking dish with some of the enchilada sauce.


Microwave the tortillas for half a minute to a minute to soften them and prepare them to be rolled.  We in total used five flour tortillas.  Coat the tortillas on both sides with a thin layer of enchilada sauce.  We did this on a plate so as not to make too much of a mess elsewhere.  We then sprinkled fresh monterey jack cheese over the inside of the tortilla.  Next, scoop about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of a tortilla.  Roll/fold the tortilla to encase the stuffing, and place into the baking dish, seam side down.  Repeat for the rest of your tortillas.  Once your baking dish is full, cover the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce.

Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese generously on top and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.  
A peak inside the enchiladas after coming out of the oven
Sprinkle freshly chopped scallions and cilantro on top of the enchiladas once out of the oven.  When serving, add a dollop of sour cream, or perhaps some guacamole/avocado and enjoy your midnight fiesta!

No comments: