Thursday, October 13, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff is a pretty easy fixin, because it's really nothing fancy.  The sauce is beef broth and sour cream, but Stroganoff plays the role of comfort food well and is a nice change-up if you're making pasta again but want to alter the sauce/toppings.

I found myself with two remaining thinly sliced steaks, so I cut them into strips.  I also chopped some garlic and shallot, and had I stocked my fridge properly, mushrooms would've also been invited.

Start by sauteing the garlic and shallots (and mushrooms) in a little bit of butter or olive oil.  Then add your steak strips and cook until browned on all sides.  
Next it's time to make the roux.  Move your ingredients to the side of the skillet so that the butter finds itself alone on the opposite side.  Add some flour.  Depending on how much butter/grease you have, add about a tbsp of flour and mix it with the grease until a roux forms (the firm combination of flour and oil that is mostly solid).  
Add your beef broth at this point (as much as you want sauce on your pasta...1 cup? 2 cups?) Don't worry, thanks to the flour the broth will reduce and thicken so you may need more than you initially add.  
Once you cook the broth down to the desired amount of sauciness, add your sour cream to taste.  About 1/4 cup - 3/4 cup should be plenty.  Mix and then add your final touches of fresh herbs.  I recommend dill.  I did not have dill so I went with tarragon.  It helps to have a little bite to combat the beefy/creamy taste of this dish.  

Pour your meat/veggies/sauce over freshly cooked pasta (egg noodles work well for this, but I just had regular fusili), garnish with herbs if you'd like, and serve!

No comments: